If you are going to use wallpaper in your home’s décor, you need to consider several things as you make your selection. You need to be aware that wallpaper does require pasting and that hanging wallpaper requires attention because if not done correctly, it can damage your wallpaper or even ruin it. Of course, if you would like to use a professional installer give Paper Doll Interiors a call at (760) 565-5689. We can help you pick the perfect wallpaper and have it installed. If you are thinking of installing it yourself, consider the following.
Preparing the Surface
Ensuring that the surface is properly prepared is important to ensure safe and accurate installation. The surfaces must be clean, dry, smooth and structurally intact before the wallpaper is installed. Non-porous and glossy surfaces require primer before wallpaper is installed. Tint the primer to match the wallpaper and make sure the primer is completely dry before installing.
Hanging the Wallpaper
- Trim the wallpaper while dry on a flat surface.
- Use a fresh blade while trimming flush with the edge, as they are designed for butted seam installation. In order to get clean seams, you need careful precision.
- Use a non-staining, ready mixed clear adhesive. Be sure to not oversaturate the paper’s backing, and machine pasting is acceptable unless you have selected a specialty paper was chosen for the project.
- Use a pasting machine or a short-nap paint roller to put the adhesive onto the back of the wallcovering panel.
- Paper does not need much pressure during the installation process. The first panel should be hung to a plumb line and then overlapped onto the baseboard and ceiling.
- Use a razor knife for trimming around baseboards, windows, the ceiling and so forth.
- At the edge of the first strip, line up the edge of the second strip to make sure there is perfect alignment.
- Use water to sponge each strip clean, and removing any excess adhesive. Don’t overuse water, because it can reactivate the paste and cause splitting seams. Don’t rub the paper too hard, as it can burnish the surface.
And, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate asking a wallpaper expert before you get off on the wrong track. Remember, with the right care and attention, your project will be finished looking great. Call us if you run into any problems (760) 565-5689.